Wednesday, September 24, 2014

FOOD: Pumpkin Oaties

Autumn is one of my favorite seasons of the year.... well, to be honest... the start to any season is pretty much my favorite season of the year. But, autumn holds a special place in my heart thanks to all the warmth and coziness which is conveyed in the scents and food of the season.

So, what better way to get into the autumn spirit but with baking some Pumpkin Oaties!
This was our first PUMPKIN recipe of the season and I wanted to share it with you.

First off though, I was so excited about eating baking these.... that I only took one pic.
Here it is... in all it's Instagram glory:


Now back to the recipe.

I LOVE my cookbooks.
In fact, hubby frequently gifts them to me for special and "just because" events.
He knows my heart well.

And one of my favorite cookbooks is The New American Heart Association Cookbook 8th Edition. And that is where I received the inspiration [and recipe] for these pumpkin oaties. I just altered the recipe in several different areas and they still turned out great!

PUMPKIN OATIES
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
        *Note: Altered from the TNAHAC's recipe of 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
       *Note: Altered from the TNAHAC's recipe of 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour.
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp Feather Weight baking powder [sodium free]
       *Note: If not sodium free, use same amount baking powder.
2 tsp Ener G baking soda [sodium free]
       *Note: If not sodium free, use ONLY 1 tsp baking soda.
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
       *Note: Altered from the TNAHAC's recipe of 1/4 cup canola or corn oil.
1 large egg
1 15 oz. can pumpkin
1 c uncooked quick-cooking oatmeal

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Put the brown sugar, oil, and egg in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth. Beat in the pumpkin until smooth.

Stir in the oatmeal. Gradually stir in the flour mixture, about one-third at a time, gently blending until no flour is visible.

Using a small 1 Tbsp spring-loaded ice cream scoop or tablespoon, drop the dough by tablespoonfuls on to a lightly sprayed baking sheet. Dampen the heel of your hand and lightly press each cookie to flatten slightly. The cookies don't spread as they bake.

Bake for 14 to 18 minutes, or until the cookies appear dry. Transfer the cookies from the baking sheets to cooling racks and let cool.

I was able to make 30 cookies with my altered version of the recipe.

Nutritional value per cookie according to "MyFitnessPal":
Calories 59 | Fat 0.2g | Sodium 54 mg | Potassium 74 mg | Carbs 13 g | Fiber 1 g |
Sugars 7 g | Protein 1 g | Vitamin A 33% | Calcium 8%

Such a yummy special Fall treat!
Happy Fall Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello my friends! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy reading each and every word. Have a FABULOUS day!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS