Friday, May 17, 2013

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies

Or.....  Oatmeal Scotchies!


These cookies are some of my mother's favorite cookies ever. I have learned that when it comes to butterscotch.... you either love it or hate it. I am my mama's girl...so, I love it! 

Making these delicious cookies are always a wonderful thing for me! But, I just don't make cookies all the time because of them being you know.... so sweet and ahem fattening {totally, because I have no self-control while eating said cookies ---- I don't know when to stop --- the temptation is just too doggone great!}. 

Here is my "secret" to making not-so-unhealthy delicious cookies: 

I utilize no sodium baking soda, Stevia, and whole wheat flour. I use a little less butter and salt.
I also use 2 egg whites instead of 1 egg.

Simple and easy substitutions that seem to make me feel a little better about eating the whole batch in one sitting {ok --- that has never happened --- but, the desire is there, my friends!}

Here is my recipe for these DELICIOUS cookies! 

BUTTERSCOTCH OATMEAL COOKIES
Yield: approximately 42 cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Bake Time: 8-10 minutes

Cupcakes:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda*
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened and cut into chunks
3/4 cup Truvia or Stevia
3/4 cup backed brown sugar
1 egg at room temperature
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
3 cups of quick or old-fashioned oats {I used quick}
1 2/3 cups {11 oz package} Butterscotch Chips

* I use sodium free baking soda, therefore I have to double the amount: 2 teaspoons of baking soda

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. 

2. In a medium bowl, combine together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; set aside.

3. In an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter, brown sugar, Stevia, eggs and vanilla extract .

4. Gradually beat in the flour mixture.

5. Stir in the oats and Butterscotch Chips.

6. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto and ungreased baking sheet.

7. Bake for 8-10 minutes. {less time more chewy - greater time more crisp}

8. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

ENJOY!

Hope you have a FANTASTIC weekend!

I will be enjoying these cookies with my family {that means I have to have self-control and not eat the whole batch!}. 
We have a lot to celebrate while together:

Grandpa's 80th Birthday
Mom's 60th Birthday
Mom and Dad's 40th Wedding Anniversary
Grandparents' 61st Wedding Anniversary

A LOT to celebrate!

So, do you love or hate butterscotch?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello my friends! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy reading each and every word. Have a FABULOUS day!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS